This is Myrna’s personal recipe; I hope you enjoy the limoncello as much I do!
- 20 Lemons, as fragrant and juicy as you can find;
- 1 Bottle of Tito’s Vodka (750ML);
- 1 Bottle of Everclear (750 ML) or similar grain alcohol as close to 100 proof as you can find;
- 3-1/2 Cups Water;
- 3-1/2 Cups Sugar;
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the peel from the lemons, taking care to keep the peels in long strips. If you have a zester, lemon zest works better than peels.
- With a sharp knife, remove the white pith from the peel. Any pith left over will cause the taste to become bitter.
- Place the lemon peels/zest in a 2 quart glass container. Pour the vodka over the peels/zest and cover tightly.
- Steep the lemon peels in the vodka/Everclear mixture for 2-3 months, at room temperature.
- Stir the water and sugar in a large saucepan, over medium heat, until the sugar dissolves. (Simple Syrup)
- Once this mixture has cooled, pour over the vodka/Everclear mixture.
- Cover and let stand and additional 2-3 weeks, at room temperature.
- Strain the limoncello; discard the lemon peels/zest.
- Pour the limoncello into sealable bottles, and refrigerate. You can store in the freezer, btw, because the high level of alchol won’t allow this cordial to freeze.